A divorce being finalized is often seen as a sigh of relief. However, as time goes on, your financial situation will change. This is why child support modifications are available to those who need them. If in the months or years after your divorce you either need more child support, or you believe your spouse no longer needs your support, you must read on and learn more about the modification process and how our firm can help you achieve the outcome you deserve.
How do New York courts determine child support?
New York courts will take several aspects of your life into consideration when establishing the terms of your child support. Some of the most commonly-analyzed factors when determining child support are as follows:
- How many children are in your household
- Whether you or your former spouse have hefty medical bills
- Your gross yearly income
- Your child’s age
- Whether your child has any special needs
- Whether your child is pursuing a higher education
What are some instances that may require a child support modification?
There are several specific scenarios that may legitimately warrant a child support modification. Some situations that have qualified for adjustments in the past are as follows:
- The supporting parent either contracting a serious medical condition or getting seriously injured, resulting in hefty medical bills
- The federal income tax law has changed
- One of the parents lost their job
- One of the parents received a promotion, or came into a large sum of money in a different way
- One of the parents lost their home
- Any changes in child custody agreements
How can I get child support terms modified?
To modify your child support terms, you must first hire an experienced attorney. From here, you will file a motion with the courts and request a child support modification. You and your attorney must present sufficient evidence demonstrating that you do, in fact, require this adjustment. An experienced, trustworthy attorney can help ensure you have all the information you need to do so.
Contact our experienced New York firm
Divorce is complex. Fortunately, our firm is here to address any questions and concerns you may have regarding your rights, assets, and future. When you choose our firm to represent your best interests, we address each of your concerns and answer all of your questions to help you rest assured knowing you have a compassionate, skilled firm fighting in your corner. We leave no stone unturned. No matter your legal situation, if you need us, we are here. We pride ourselves on providing sympathetic service and aggressive representation to clients all over Suffolk County. Do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. for a consultation.