Relocating with a child out of New York

Contact Us Today!

When parents get divorced, one parent typically becomes the custodial parent of the child. This simply means that the parent spends more time caring for the child than the other parent does. At some point or another in the child’s life, the custodial parent may want to move out of New York State. When a parent wishes to relocate with a child, they will have to either obtain permission from the child’s other parent or go through the New York State family court system to request that the move is approved by a judge.

If the noncustodial parent opposes the move, the matter may end up in court and will be left for the judge to decide. In these situations, the court will only approve the move if they determine that it is in the best interest of the child. The court will consider many different factors in order to decide whether the relocation should occur, such as:

  • The child’s relationship with each parent
  • The change in the child’s quality of life that may happen as a result of the move
  • The impact of the move on the child’s relationship with the other parent and extended family
  • The reason for the move
  • The reason the other parent opposes the move

If you have questions about relocation, contact our firm today.

If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today. Our firm is proud to serve clients throughout Long Island when they face difficult legal matters. 

Why choose our firm?

We have an excellent AVVO rating from our many happy clients

We will tirelessly pursue a favorable resolution to your case

We offer aggressive and effective representation

We treat our clients with the compassion, patience, and respect that they deserve

We have more than 20 years of dedicated legal experience

We have the legal knowledge necessary to help you obtain the outcome you desire

We tailor our practice to the representation of your divorce case

What Our Clients Are Saying

I hired Susan to represent me in a divorce matter where I was fighting for custody and to limit my wife's equitable share of our assets. I won custody of our son, kept the marital residence, kept my professional practice, kept my building and paid less than half to my wife. This was after a long-term marriage. She could persuade the court that equitable is not equal and sometimes the man does deserve to win!

‐ Dave

I first must say that I had been represented by two prior attorneys both of whom had simply taken my money and left me nothing to show for it in my custody case. They kept telling me what they were doing for me but I found out they were lying. Susan on the other hand had gotten me temporary custody and support for my children and myself within two months of hiring her. I cannot say enough about her.

‐ Craig

After talking to a few other attorneys, I hired Susan to represent me in my divorce and custody dispute. I was reluctant to go with her because she was the cheapest out of all the other attorneys I met with, but I'm so glad I did. I am 100% positive no one else would have done such a great job with my case as Susan and her staff. Her work is quality, her staff is reliable and her character is honorable. There...

‐ Linda

I had a very difficult case where I had already burned through two attorneys who were unable to get me custody of my children and complete my divorce. Susan was able to rapidly work out an agreement and not let it just malinger on like my previous experiences. She was also considerate of my financial situation unlike all of the other lawyers I had spoken to. I highly recommend her if you want complete and caring service with an in-depth knowledge of...

‐ Joanne


The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. proudly serves clients throughout Suffolk County, New York in their divorce, family law, and estate planning matters. If you require the services of an experienced Suffolk County attorney, schedule a consultation with The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. today.

Recent Blogs


Contact Us Today!