How do I Get a Post-Judgment Modification?

Contact Us Today!

Naturally, life changes. If you have resolved the terms of your divorce, months, or even years ago, there is a good chance those terms are no longer in everybody’s best interests. If you have moved farther away to take a new job, for example, you may need to request a modification in the child custody or parenting time terms of your divorce. While a logical decision may seem fairly straightforward to you, there is a good chance you will have to jump through several potential legal hoops before you are granted a post-judgment modification. For example, your spouse may not agree with your proposed terms, and you may have to resolve these issues in a courtroom setting. This is often a very stressful experience, and you should not have to go it alone. Thankfully, a knowledgeable attorney and a bit of self-education can prepare you for the divorce modification process. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are valid grounds to modify my divorce?

Generally, the main determining factor in granting a post-judgment modification is whether you or your spouse can demonstrate evidence of a significant, unforeseen, and ongoing change in circumstances. Some examples of such changes in circumstances are as follows:

  • Your child has reached adulthood and no longer requires child support
  • Your child is going to college, and the court must determine tuition and other related expenses
  • You or your former spouse are now cohabitating with another person
  • You or your former spouse have had a significant change in their working status, such as a promotion, demotion, or is now unemployed
  • Your child’s schedule has changed
  • You or your former spouse have exposed your child to domestic violence, abuse, neglect, substance abuse, or any other scenario that may question your parental fitness

What issues may my post-judgment modification address?

Your post-judgment modification may address issues such as child support, spousal support, and child custody. Generally, most of the situations described above will warrant a modification, however, a modification is far from automatic. The courts will make you prove that you need a divorce modification, so you should hire an experienced attorney who will help assemble the necessary documentation and evidence. Some documents that may help you prove your case are police reports, financial documents, tax returns, school records, and more. While you can try to reach an agreement with your former spouse, it is usually best to hire an attorney to ensure you have someone looking out for your best interests at all times.

Contact our experienced New York firm

Matters of divorce and family law should be navigated with the guidance of an experienced attorney. If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.

Why choose our firm?

We have an excellent AVVO rating from our many happy clients

We will tirelessly pursue a favorable resolution to your case

We offer aggressive and effective representation

We treat our clients with the compassion, patience, and respect that they deserve

We have more than 20 years of dedicated legal experience

We have the legal knowledge necessary to help you obtain the outcome you desire

We tailor our practice to the representation of your divorce case

What Our Clients Are Saying

I hired Susan to represent me in a divorce matter where I was fighting for custody and to limit my wife's equitable share of our assets. I won custody of our son, kept the marital residence, kept my professional practice, kept my building and paid less than half to my wife. This was after a long-term marriage. She could persuade the court that equitable is not equal and sometimes the man does deserve to win!

‐ Dave

I first must say that I had been represented by two prior attorneys both of whom had simply taken my money and left me nothing to show for it in my custody case. They kept telling me what they were doing for me but I found out they were lying. Susan on the other hand had gotten me temporary custody and support for my children and myself within two months of hiring her. I cannot say enough about her.

‐ Craig

After talking to a few other attorneys, I hired Susan to represent me in my divorce and custody dispute. I was reluctant to go with her because she was the cheapest out of all the other attorneys I met with, but I'm so glad I did. I am 100% positive no one else would have done such a great job with my case as Susan and her staff. Her work is quality, her staff is reliable and her character is honorable. There...

‐ Linda

I had a very difficult case where I had already burned through two attorneys who were unable to get me custody of my children and complete my divorce. Susan was able to rapidly work out an agreement and not let it just malinger on like my previous experiences. She was also considerate of my financial situation unlike all of the other lawyers I had spoken to. I highly recommend her if you want complete and caring service with an in-depth knowledge of...

‐ Joanne


The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. proudly serves clients throughout Suffolk County, New York in their divorce, family law, and estate planning matters. If you require the services of an experienced Suffolk County attorney, schedule a consultation with The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. today.

Recent Blogs


Contact Us Today!