The process of divorce can be very complex, as it requires numerous legal matters to be handled. This is an important time in a person’s life that should be handled by a professional. It is because of this that spouses going through a divorce should retain the services of an experienced New York divorce attorney for assistance.
What Does a Divorce Attorney Do?
There are many tasks carried out by a divorce attorney that are crucial to reaching the end of divorce proceedings. This can include the following:
- Assess the case to determine court jurisdiction
- Develop a strategy for advising you regarding all aspects of the divorce
- Prepare legal documents to file with the court
- Conduct discovery to obtain information from the other party
- Appear at all court appearances, depositions, and conferences
- Schedule deadlines and court appearances
- Inform you of actions you must take
- Perform financial analyses of your case
- Conduct legal research
- Prepare you for any appearances and depositions
- Prepare your case for hearings and trials
- Advise you of your rights under the law
- Counsel you about the risks and benefits that arise during your case
Will Additional Professionals Be Appointed to Work With My Attorney?
Divorce proceedings sometimes require the assistance of professionals in other fields. This may be the case in the event that custody is brought into question and the court enlists a psychologist or psychiatrist to evaluate what is in the best interest of the child. In addition to this, a forensic accountant may be appointed to handle financial matters present in the case. This may be needed if one spouse has a business or a large inheritance.
Do I Need an Attorney if I’ve Been Divorced Before?
Many people feel as if they go through a divorce more than once that they do not need an attorney the second time because they learned the process already. However, it is important to remember that every divorce case is different from another one. This means the proceedings a person goes through the second time around may not be the same as their first divorce. This can depend on the length of the marriage, if the couple has children, both spouses’ financial situation, their ages and health, etc. That is why it is important to have an attorney at your side during this complicated time in life.
Contact our Firm
Divorce is complex. Fortunately, our firm is here to address any questions and concerns you may have regarding your rights, assets, and future. When you choose our firm to represent your best interests, we address each of your concerns and answer all of your questions to help you rest assured knowing you have a compassionate, skilled firm fighting in your corner. We leave no stone unturned. No matter your legal situation, if you need us, we are here. We pride ourselves on providing sympathetic service and aggressive representation to clients all over Suffolk County. Do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. for a consultation.