Contested vs. Uncontested Divorces


When a couple makes the decision to get a divorce, there are a variety of factors that need to be handled before the divorce can be finalized. Some couples handle the issues surrounding their divorce differently than others because everyone’s situation is different. Some couples come in with everything pre-determined. They know exactly what they want and agree that this is how they want these matters handled. However, other couples may find themselves fighting every step of the way.

An uncontested divorce is a situation in which the spouses can agree on the various issues surrounding their divorce on their own without a judge deciding everything for them. These factors that must be sorted out include the division of assets and liabilities, spousal maintenance, and if applicable, child custody, visitation, and support agreements. Some couples may go through forms of alternative dispute resolution such as mediation or collaborative divorce in order to come to an agreement. They may be able to use these methods to take a contested matter and find a resolution on their own.

Unfortunately, some couples simply cannot come to a decision on the issues surrounding their divorce on their own. It is understandable that compromising on an aspect of the life you are so used to is difficult and many people don’t want to give that up. This is even more difficult when the aspect in question is children. The idea of not being able to see your children every day can be hard for many parents and this is one of the most contested matters in many divorces. The court will ultimately decide what they believe is in the best interest of the children, even if their decision does not line up with your own.

If you have questions about your divorce, it is important that you consult with an experienced divorce and family attorney who can provide you with assistance.

If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.