Adopting a child is an incredible time in a family’s life. While it is extremely exciting, the process of adoption is not always easy. As a result, it is important to be educated about the process and retain the help of a passionate family law attorney to help you every step of the way. Read on for more information regarding adoption in New York and the various options.
What are the Different Types of Adoption Processes in New York?
Every family is different, so every family has different needs when it comes to adopting a child. As a result, there are various paths you can take, depending upon your situation. The different types of adoptions in New York City include:
- Domestic Adoption: Adopting a child who was born in, and lives in, the United States.
- International Adoption: Adopting a child who was born in, and lives in, a foreign country. While international adoption is an extremely rewarding process, it can be more complicated than other adoption options and may require an extensive amount of travel.
- Second-Parent Adoption: This is when a same-sex parent adopts his or her biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Private Adoption: These adoptions generally avoid adoption agencies, instead, you adopt a child through his or her biological parents or you adopt a child you already know.
- Stepparent Adoption: When a stepparent adopts his or her stepchild, he or she must gain the child’s non-custodial parent’s consent first. However, these adoptions may also occur if there are proven instances of child abuse or neglect.
- LGBT Adoption: This form of adoption allows LGBT couples to adopt a child. Fortunately, this is legal in New York State, though it is more complicated in other states.
- Adult Adoption: Adult adoption generally serves the purpose of transferring inheritance rights or filiation.
What Does the Process Entail?
Once you are ready to adopt your child, the courts will expect several things from you. For example, you may have to consent to background checks, training courses, home visits, interviews, home inspections, reference checks, and more. For this reason, it is best to have a compassionate, knowledgeable attorney on your side to help you through every step of the process.
If you are interested in adopting a child in New York, reach out to our dedicated firm to learn more.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Matters of divorce and family law should be navigated with the guidance of an experienced attorney. If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.