Mediation is a popular option amongst divorcing couples in New York. Read on to learn why.
What is mediation?
Mediation is a way to settle the matters of your divorce. These matters may include child support, child custody, spousal support, division of assets, and more. Mediation takes place outside of the court and involves the help of a neutral third party, who helps the couple find solutions.
What are the benefits of mediation?
Mediation can offer some of the following benefits:
- Control: Mediation allows spouses to have more control over the decisions regarding their divorce.
- Confidentiality: Mediation is confidential. Neither spouse nor the third party is allowed to publicly share anything discussed during mediation or use the information against one another. Additionally, matters that are settled outside of the court do not become a matter of public record. This is a good way to keep your divorce and its details private.
- Speed: Mediation is often a quicker process. This is because it only lasts as long as necessary.
- Cost: Divorce through litigation is usually expensive for both the couple and the state of New York. Unlike divorcing through litigation, mediation is cost-friendly.
- Choice: Because mediation is a voluntary process, it tends to involve more cooperation and open communication which can be extremely healthy and beneficial.
- Family: This healthy communication and compromise is especially beneficial when it comes to families with children. This can make it easier to co-parent, lead to less hostility, and set a good example for your child.
What are my other options?
Mediation is not for everyone. Because mediation involves so much open communication, it is important that spouses be on speaking terms and willing to work together. Not every divorce ends amicably, and this is not an option for everyone. Luckily, there are numerous other ways to settle a divorce, including:
- Collaborative divorce
If you are getting divorced, our firm is here to walk you through the process. Reach out today to discuss your options with an experienced and dedicated attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.