Post Judgment Action in NY

Divorces are complex legal matters and most of the time, once the couple has finalized their divorce, they just want to move on with their life. The unfortunate reality is that even though the two former spouses may never want anything to do with each other again after the divorce, they may find themselves back in court years down the road battling over another matter. There are a number of different reasons that a person may have to take post-judgment action against their former spouse a significant amount of time after the divorce has been finalized.

Modification of an Order

One of the reasons that a divorced couple may find themselves in court after the divorce is when one party wants to modify one of the matters of the divorce agreement. When circumstances change and the original order is no longer effective, one party may request that the court modifies it to better suit the current situation. This may apply to situations such as child custody, visitation, alimony, among other things.

Enforcing a Court Order

In some situations, one of the former spouses may be ignoring the court’s original order and the other spouse may want to hold them accountable. Like modifications, this may apply to matters such as spousal support, child support, child custody, visitation, and more. If a party continuously ignores a court order, they may be subject to wage garnishing and other sanctions.

If you have questions about either modifying a court order or trying to enforce a court order, contact an experienced attorney today for quality legal assistance.

Matters of divorce and family law should be navigated with the guidance of an experienced attorney. If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.