Who can obtain an order for visitation?

Though it is rare for a court to grant sole custody to a parent, it does happen from time to time. If you are in a situation where your child’s other parent was granted sole custody but still want to be able to see your child, you have options. You can request an Order of Visitation through the court. The court may grant you visitation rights but keep in mind that depending on the situation, you may be ordered to only have supervised visits with the child.

Another question that comes up frequently is whether a family member other than the parent can request an order of visitation. However, only certain family members have the right to request visitation rights. Family members that are allowed to request visitation are parents, siblings, and grandparents. It is important to note that aunts, uncles, cousins, and stepparents are not permitted to request visitation rights. Unfortunately, for these family members, the court does not care how strong your relationship is with the child.

If you are a parent who has not been granted any type of custody, our firm understands that this may be devastating. We want to help you get your rights back and help you get the chance to form a meaningful relationship with your child. It is important that you fight for your parental rights and we are here to help. Contact an experienced family law attorney today for assistance.

If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.