Can I Modify my Child Custody Agreement in New York?

Contact Us Today!

Divorce does not only impact the two spouses in question, but also any family that is involved. This includes any children the couple may have together. When parents go through a divorce, one of the most important matters they are required to settle is child custody. Once a child custody agreement is made, it must be followed or it can be enforced by the court. While this is true, the court recognizes that families can experience changes throughout their life that may cause the custody situation to no longer suit their needs. When this happens, a parent can petition the court to receive a modification. Continue reading below to learn more about this process.

When Can I Modify Custody Arrangements?

It is important to know that parents are not able to modify their custody arrangements on their own. They are required to show the court that there is a reason the change is needed. The following are several reasons as to why a modification may be granted:

  • The child’s best interests: if a child is unhappy in their current living situation or it is not working for them.
  • The child is in danger: if a parent feels the co-parent may endanger their child or there is evidence of abuse or neglect, they can file a petition to modify the custody arrangement.
  • Relocation: if a parent needs to move, they may request a modification to change the custody orders to bring their child with them.
  • A parent cannot meet the needs of their child: if a parent’s life circumstances, such as employment status, makes it difficult to support their child the way they need. 
  • One parent is not cooperating: if parents have joint custody but one of them does not follow the agreement. 
  • One parent passes away: if one co-parent dies and the other parent does not want a new spouse to raise their child, they can pursue full custody. 

How is Custody Modified?

To change a custody agreement, parents should first begin simply by speaking with their co-parent. If the two are on good terms, they may be able to negotiate with one another to reach conclusions regarding the changes that are needed. This can be done either one on one or with the help of a mediator. It is important to note that, even through this method, a modification petition still needs to be filed and approved by the judge. 

If the two parents are unable to work together, the parent who wishes to receive a modification can file the petition to receive a court date. During this time, they are required to inform the judge of their reasoning for the modification. The judge can evaluate the situation to see if the change is necessary. If approved, they can establish new custody orders based on what is best for the child.

Contact our Firm

Matters of divorce and family law should be navigated with the guidance of an experienced attorney. If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.

Why choose our firm?

We have an excellent AVVO rating from our many happy clients

We will tirelessly pursue a favorable resolution to your case

We offer aggressive and effective representation

We treat our clients with the compassion, patience, and respect that they deserve

We have more than 20 years of dedicated legal experience

We have the legal knowledge necessary to help you obtain the outcome you desire

We tailor our practice to the representation of your divorce case

What Our Clients Are Saying

I hired Susan to represent me in a divorce matter where I was fighting for custody and to limit my wife's equitable share of our assets. I won custody of our son, kept the marital residence, kept my professional practice, kept my building and paid less than half to my wife. This was after a long-term marriage. She could persuade the court that equitable is not equal and sometimes the man does deserve to win!

‐ Dave

I first must say that I had been represented by two prior attorneys both of whom had simply taken my money and left me nothing to show for it in my custody case. They kept telling me what they were doing for me but I found out they were lying. Susan on the other hand had gotten me temporary custody and support for my children and myself within two months of hiring her. I cannot say enough about her.

‐ Craig

After talking to a few other attorneys, I hired Susan to represent me in my divorce and custody dispute. I was reluctant to go with her because she was the cheapest out of all the other attorneys I met with, but I'm so glad I did. I am 100% positive no one else would have done such a great job with my case as Susan and her staff. Her work is quality, her staff is reliable and her character is honorable. There...

‐ Linda

I had a very difficult case where I had already burned through two attorneys who were unable to get me custody of my children and complete my divorce. Susan was able to rapidly work out an agreement and not let it just malinger on like my previous experiences. She was also considerate of my financial situation unlike all of the other lawyers I had spoken to. I highly recommend her if you want complete and caring service with an in-depth knowledge of...

‐ Joanne


The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. proudly serves clients throughout Suffolk County, New York in their divorce, family law, and estate planning matters. If you require the services of an experienced Suffolk County attorney, schedule a consultation with The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. today.

Recent Blogs


Contact Us Today!