Am I allowed to move out of state with my child?

When a child custody and visitation arrangement is made, there is no way that a parent that a parent can possibly know the circumstances that may change 5 years down the road. There are a number of different measures that need to be taken to determine whether you can leave the state and bring your child with you. If the noncustodial parent does not want you to move away with the child, you will likely bring the matter to court. You must request permission from the court before you do this if you are considering leaving the state but have a custody and visitation agreement with the other parent.

It is important that you do not violate the terms of your custody or visitation agreement because you may find yourself in legal trouble. The court will take a number of factors into consideration when you request to relocate because they want to make sure that the best interest of the child is accounted for. If the move is not in the best interest of the child, they may not approve the request. Some of these factors may include the potential change in the relationship between the child and the noncustodial parent, the impact the move may have on the child’s social and academic life, and more. The court will also look at the reasons why the custodial parent wants to move, the parent’s quality of life, etc.

If you wish to relocate out of state with your child, contact an experienced family law attorney today.

If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.