If you are considering adopting a child, there are several things you need to know. Though the process is exciting, it can also become complicated at times, which is why it is generally best to speak with an experienced attorney before, during, and sometimes even after the process is completed. There are several different types of adoption, all for different circumstances. The most common types of adoption are as follows:
- Domestic Adoption: When you adopt a child born in the United States, it is a domestic adoption.
- International Adoption: This is when you adopt a child who was born in, and lives in, a foreign country. While international adoption is an extremely rewarding process, it is also sometimes more complicated than domestic adoption and may require an extensive amount of travel.
- Second-parent Adoption: This is when a same-sex parent adopts his or her biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Private Adoption: These adoptions generally avoid adoption agencies, as in a private adoption, you adopt a child through his or her biological parents, or you adopt a child you already know.
- Step-Parent Adoption: When a stepparent adopts his or her stepchild, he or she must gain the child’s non-custodial parent’s consent first. However, these adoptions may also occur if there are proven instances of child abuse or neglect.
- LGBT Adoption: This form of adoption allows LGBT couples to adopt a child. Fortunately, this is perfectly legal in New York State, though it is not legal everywhere.
- Adult Adoption: Adult adoption is for two or more adults, and generally serves the purpose of transferring inheritance rights or filiation.
Once you are ready to adopt your child, the courts will expect several things from you. For example, you will have to consent to background checks, training courses, home visits, interviews, home inspections, reference checks, and any other type of screening the court deems necessary. That is why it is always best to have a compassionate, knowledgeable attorney on your side to help you through every step of the process.
Contact our experienced New York firm
Divorce is complex. Fortunately, our firm is here to address any questions and concerns you may have regarding your rights, assets, and future. When you choose our firm to represent your best interests, we address each of your concerns and answer all of your questions to help you rest assured knowing you have a compassionate, skilled firm fighting in your corner. We leave no stone unturned. No matter your legal situation, if you need us, we are here. We pride ourselves on providing sympathetic service and aggressive representation to clients all over Suffolk County. Do not hesitate to contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. for a consultation.