Post-Judgment Modifications in New York | What to Know

Contact Us Today!

When you get divorced, a number of important decisions will be made. These decisions may be made through various methods. Some spouses get divorced through a New York court, whereas others may settle their agreements outside of the court, through mediation, arbitration, or a collaborative divorce. Regardless, the matters of your divorce will have been carefully discussed and calculated to meet the needs of both spouses and any children involved. But, there are many cases in which these agreements may need to be changed down the line. This is known as a post-judgment modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New York.

What Issues Can be Modified? 

A number of different issues can be modified through a New York court. Some of the most commonly modified issues include:

  • Child Custody: A modification may be necessary if either a parent’s or child’s life changes and the current custody agreement no longer works. 
  • Child Support: Either party can request an increase or decrease in payment amounts, depending upon the situation. 
  • Spousal Maintenance: When a former spouse’s personal or financial life changes, either party can request an increase or decrease in payment amounts.

What Circumstances Might Call For a  Modification? 

When a couple gets divorced in New York, various matters will be carefully determined. But, life changes in unexpected ways, and these arrangements may no longer work. Some reasons you may request a post-judgment modification include:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation does not need child support anymore
  • Financial responsibility must be determined for college education payment
  • Either party is living with another person and no longer needs support from their former-spouse
  • If the child’s schedule changes, a former spouse may wish to modify custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule
  • If either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., the spousal or child support payment amount may need to change
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need to change

Modifying your child support, child custody, or alimony agreement may be difficult. For this reason, you will want to retain the help of an experienced divorce attorney. Our firm is here to walk you through all of your family law matters. Do not hesitate to reach out to speak with a dedicated attorney if you have any questions regarding post-judgment modifications.


Matters of divorce and family law should be navigated with the guidance of an experienced attorney. If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today.

Why choose our firm?

We have an excellent AVVO rating from our many happy clients

We will tirelessly pursue a favorable resolution to your case

We offer aggressive and effective representation

We treat our clients with the compassion, patience, and respect that they deserve

We have more than 20 years of dedicated legal experience

We have the legal knowledge necessary to help you obtain the outcome you desire

We tailor our practice to the representation of your divorce case

What Our Clients Are Saying

I hired Susan to represent me in a divorce matter where I was fighting for custody and to limit my wife's equitable share of our assets. I won custody of our son, kept the marital residence, kept my professional practice, kept my building and paid less than half to my wife. This was after a long-term marriage. She could persuade the court that equitable is not equal and sometimes the man does deserve to win!

‐ Dave

I first must say that I had been represented by two prior attorneys both of whom had simply taken my money and left me nothing to show for it in my custody case. They kept telling me what they were doing for me but I found out they were lying. Susan on the other hand had gotten me temporary custody and support for my children and myself within two months of hiring her. I cannot say enough about her.

‐ Craig

After talking to a few other attorneys, I hired Susan to represent me in my divorce and custody dispute. I was reluctant to go with her because she was the cheapest out of all the other attorneys I met with, but I'm so glad I did. I am 100% positive no one else would have done such a great job with my case as Susan and her staff. Her work is quality, her staff is reliable and her character is honorable. There...

‐ Linda

I had a very difficult case where I had already burned through two attorneys who were unable to get me custody of my children and complete my divorce. Susan was able to rapidly work out an agreement and not let it just malinger on like my previous experiences. She was also considerate of my financial situation unlike all of the other lawyers I had spoken to. I highly recommend her if you want complete and caring service with an in-depth knowledge of...

‐ Joanne


The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. proudly serves clients throughout Suffolk County, New York in their divorce, family law, and estate planning matters. If you require the services of an experienced Suffolk County attorney, schedule a consultation with The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. today.

Recent Blogs


Contact Us Today!