How can I obtain an order of protection?

Contact Us Today!

When a person that is either a member of your family or someone you used to have a relationship with has been harassing you, threatening you, or making yourself or your family feel unsafe, it may be time to consider an order of protection. When you request an order of protection, you will have to figure out which court will be the best way to obtain one depending on your situation. If the individual is a current or former spouse, a family member, the other parent of your child, or someone you once had a relationship with, you will go through Family Court.

An order of protection will generally be issued upon a person’s release from custody through criminal court. Supreme Court orders are granted during a divorce proceeding.

It is important that if you feel as though you are in any danger at all, you obtain an order of protection. It is better to take safety precautions than risk something bad happening. There are no filing fees for orders of protection in New York State. Most orders of protection are recognized in other states to ensure that the person cannot contact you no matter which state you are in.

If you need an order of protection, you will file the Family Offense petition as the petitioner against the respondent, or the person you want protection from. For assistance in obtaining protection, you should contact an experienced family law attorney as soon as possible.

If you need strong legal representation regarding matters of divorce, family law, and estate law, contact the Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. to schedule a consultation today. 

Why choose our firm?

We have an excellent AVVO rating from our many happy clients

We will tirelessly pursue a favorable resolution to your case

We offer aggressive and effective representation

We treat our clients with the compassion, patience, and respect that they deserve

We have more than 20 years of dedicated legal experience

We have the legal knowledge necessary to help you obtain the outcome you desire

We tailor our practice to the representation of your divorce case

What Our Clients Are Saying

I hired Susan to represent me in a divorce matter where I was fighting for custody and to limit my wife's equitable share of our assets. I won custody of our son, kept the marital residence, kept my professional practice, kept my building and paid less than half to my wife. This was after a long-term marriage. She could persuade the court that equitable is not equal and sometimes the man does deserve to win!

‐ Dave

I first must say that I had been represented by two prior attorneys both of whom had simply taken my money and left me nothing to show for it in my custody case. They kept telling me what they were doing for me but I found out they were lying. Susan on the other hand had gotten me temporary custody and support for my children and myself within two months of hiring her. I cannot say enough about her.

‐ Craig

After talking to a few other attorneys, I hired Susan to represent me in my divorce and custody dispute. I was reluctant to go with her because she was the cheapest out of all the other attorneys I met with, but I'm so glad I did. I am 100% positive no one else would have done such a great job with my case as Susan and her staff. Her work is quality, her staff is reliable and her character is honorable. There...

‐ Linda

I had a very difficult case where I had already burned through two attorneys who were unable to get me custody of my children and complete my divorce. Susan was able to rapidly work out an agreement and not let it just malinger on like my previous experiences. She was also considerate of my financial situation unlike all of the other lawyers I had spoken to. I highly recommend her if you want complete and caring service with an in-depth knowledge of...

‐ Joanne


The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. proudly serves clients throughout Suffolk County, New York in their divorce, family law, and estate planning matters. If you require the services of an experienced Suffolk County attorney, schedule a consultation with The Law Offices of Susan A. Kassel, P.C. today.

Recent Blogs


Contact Us Today!